Sunday, 20 February 2011

Boy Stuff--Kurt Chambers

This week, I'm not going to talk to you about my passion for writing, or tell you one of the crazy stories about my life. I'm going to share with you some of the other things that I have a passion for. I have had many hobbies over the years, and here are a few of my favourites.



For about fifteen years, I used to be a cool dude in a rock band on and off...lol...Well, several bands actually. How things have changed! Back then I was convinced I was going to be a rock star. Me and my friend, Pat Slaney, got a band together when we were at school, The Crew, and did our first gig in front of the whole school. I joined several other bands after I left school, one of which is pictured above. I'm on the left side playing bass guitar. The last time I played in public was Battle of the Bands 98 at a venue in Hitchin. I have some recordings on Youtube I made many years ago if anyone's interested. The recording quality is terrible! Disclaimer: Some songs (one in particular, Like it Dirty) will contain some bad language.

The band 'Listen' featured in picture. Live at Fairlans Valley.


Let me in  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N9ktXrq0QqY

Maybe Today  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JtrdjVSWr6Q


The band 'Bones on the Ivory's' Studio recordings.


Not the Indian Song  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZfDL8cXxILg

Accident & Emergency  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ctiISN5bPr0

Like it Dirty  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I7e0H2NQXL8


The band 'Nebula' Studio recordings.


Drag you to Dispair  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MRDy5iXUv4w

Nocturn  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9bXxWvl8Xk4

Setting Lies  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r-g6PF8eLwk









Being a builder, I like building things. One of my greatest accomplishments is the telescope I built. I never imagined I could ever build a telescope knowing nothing about how they worked, until a friend of mine, Jerry, showed me one he had built himself. Very impressive! Not being able to afford a big telescope, I set about building my own one. As it turns out, it really wasn't that hard. I made a quarter scale drawing of how it would work, and off I went. It took me about two years to construct, but came out really well. For you technical folk, it's a six and a quarter inch Newtonian Reflector on a Dobsonian mount with a f8 (48 inch) focal length. How clever does that make me sound? haha!! I called my masterpiece, Exit. Way out man! The picture shows the main telescope without the stand.




Here is a picture of the moon I took with Exit. It's not great quality, but taking a photo through a telescope is no easy task.





Sticking to the boy theme, I have to mention one of my most fun hobbies, making rockets! There's nothing more satisfying than taking a pop bottle and turning it into an impressive looking three-foot projectile and launching it 600 feet in the air at 130mph! That is FUN! This all started when I bought a two stage water rocket from the internet, and it was rubbish. Bitterly disappointed, I thought I could make a better one myself. So that's what I did. I searched the internet for ideas, and after several failed attempts, I designed my own rockets with a launch system I also designed myself using interlocking hose connections. It worked a treat! Pictured above are some of the rockets I made, the largest of which (The Mothership) exploded at 80lb per square inch pressure before I had chance to launch it LOL It nearly burst my eardrum. So I made an even bigger one, as you do, which was the most impressive launch I've ever seen. Unfortunately, it only flew once, and went home in a black plastic rubbish bag haha!! I still haven't finished with this hobby yet. I'm planning to move on to solid fuel at some time in the future. I want to make an exploding rocket. I'll let you know how it goes if I survive the experience. :)



I like hobbies, and these are just a few of them. I may have a pink laptop, and be considered as one-of-the-girls by lots of my friends, but I'm a boy at heart.



Shameless plug:


Download a free copy of Truth Teller


How could ten-year-old Charlotte ever envisage that magic really existed. For her, the world of other realms belonged in children's fairy tales—or so she thought—until she discovers a strange shopkeeper, which begins an adventure that will change her life forever.
                         
When she finds herself lost and alone in a far away forest, she must embark on a journey where heart-stopping danger and real life monsters are real. However, a far greater threat shadows her every move. Even with the strengths and skills of her new companions, they cannot protect her against a ruthless druid assassin.
                                                                              
But in this realm, Charlotte is not the vulnerable little girl she thought she was.

Amazon:


Smashwords:


Barnes & Noble:




You can connect with the author at:

Author’s Web page http://kurtchambers.net/


8 comments:

  1. A pink laptop? Haha!! Mad, I tell you :)

    Apart from your peculiarities :) it appears you have many talents, good sir.

    May you survive letting off your rockets and may the force be with you :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm just learning new things about you all the time, Kurt. Hey, at least you'll never forget where you got that pink laptop from... and, you'll never be able to lose it :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wish I knew how to build a telescope. I would love to get a pic of the moon that close. If I try with a normal camera it just comes out as a bright spot in a dark background.

    ReplyDelete
  4. haha!! Have you never heard the story of the pink laptop, Wendy? Check this out...

    http://smblooding.blogspot.com/2010/01/friendship-kurt-chambers.html

    Thanks, mate :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hiya Cheree :) I love my pink laptop, I will cherish it forever! It's a reminder of how amazingly wonderful and kind all my friends are to me.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yeah, taking pictures of the moon is very difficult, Serryphae, even with a telescope. It's a shame you live so far away, or I could show you :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Haha, I'm kind of jealous of the pink laptop! You have too many talents...pass them on! Haha.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Saumya :)

    Thank you so much for visiting my blog. It's always nice to see new visitors. It makes me feel popular haha!!

    Awww, thank you :) I would give you some if I could. The laptop is worth being jealous of! :D

    ReplyDelete